Beginners WordPress – Workshop Details
Instructor: Nikta Boroumand – Maverick Design
Dates and Location: November 27 & 28
In this hands-on two day workshop you will learn to build your own website using the world’s leading open source platform, WordPress. WordPress is an easy to learn, dynamic Content Management System (CMS), which allows you to manage your own rich content. Bring your text, images, and creative ideas to craft a fully functioning website by the end of this workshop.
Workshop topics include: fundamentals of WordPress, creating and publishing pages, developing blog posts, managing comments, categories and tags, adding users to your site, and harnessing the power of plug-ins. You will learn to manage your own free WordPress blog or website with features such as image galleries, contact forms, site stats, google maps, sharing buttons, and more.
Workshop format involves some lecture and demonstration, but is focused on student engagement as you learn to create, build, and manage your own site. With a small class size, there is plenty of time for questions and one-on-one instruction.
To see sites built by previous participants visit: http://bigbrowneyes.ca/posts/wordpress-com-workshop-community-futures-of-central-kootenay/
At the end of this workshop, participants will have a fully functioning website with the following features:
- free hosting on WordPress.com server,
- custom designed pages built on a WordPress theme,
- 2 – 5 static pages and a posts/blog section,
- fully configured contact forms,
- google maps and other media (such as YouTube videos) embedded,
- photo gallery,
- comments handling on all pages,
- social media sharing buttons integrated into all pages,
- custom widgets, and
- site tracking
Basic computer and Internet skills are required to participate in this workshop. You must have some experience using software such as Microsoft Word, and be able to navigate folders for accessing, saving and printing word documents and image files.
What to bring
- A laptop if you have one. Otherwise, computers are provided.
- Text, graphics, and images in digital format. Participants who bring their own content will complete the workshop with a fully functioning website.
- Use of a web email account that you can access during the workshop.
- A pen for taking notes (course handbook is provided).
- Your ideas and imagination!