The Basin Busines Advisor (Advisor) provides advisory services to small and medium size businesses. The Advisor is a business counsellor, providing advice and guidance to business owners and managers. This position is located at Community Futures East Kootenay (Cranbrook) and reports to the BBA Program Manager. Travel is required.
Delivering business advisory services to small and medium size businesses:
- counselling business owners/operators in regards to financial management, operations management, marketing and strategic planning, human resource planning, etc.;
- conducting in-depth business assessments and providing detailed recommendations;
- meeting with clients in-person (at the client’s location or at the BBA office) or virtually (using video-conferencing or other online meeting technology);
- if appropriate, referring clients to specialized business consultants; and
- conducting follow-up research with clients post engagement.
Delivering entrepreneurial education workshops:
- supporting the development of workshop curriculum;
- delivering the workshops to individuals interested in learning about selling a business, buying a business and other business related topics as they arise;
- delivering workshops in-person, via video-conference or other online technology.
Representing and promoting the BBA program:
- taking part in networking events in order to promote awareness and understanding of the BBA program
Supporting the delivery of the BBA program which will include:
- ongoing development of counselling, training and workshop materials;
- identifying, liaising and managing relationships with specialized business consultants;
- marketing and promotion of the BBA program;
- systematic gathering of reporting information from clients at the on-set of the client relationship and one-year post BBA support in order to determine client outcomes; and
- liaising with program partners and community organizations.
Training and Experience:
- a minimum of three years proven direct business experience, with a broad knowledge of business management practices, including knowledge of business financial practices, understanding of financial statements, knowledge of human resource practices, marketing and sales strategies, etc.;
- a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- experience working with a variety of business models including social enterprises and co-operatives;
- education and/or experience in training, coaching or counselling;
- experience in developing business tools or training materials is an asset; and
- experience in developing and maintaining relationships with small and medium sized businesses including social enterprises, youth and/or community groups is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- personal qualities include characteristics which would engender trust and confidence in business owners accessing the program, such as maturity and experience;
- strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with clients, sub-contractors, partners and the business community;
- knowledge of small business operations;
- excellent communication skills are required, including writing skills;
- comfortable with speaking at public events on behalf of the program;
- knowledge of the Basin economy and small business sector is desirable.
- ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality;
- competency in using MS Office;
- ability to travel throughout the Basin is required, as well as use of a personal vehicle for travel. Mileage will be paid at provincial government rates; and
- ability to work flexible hours.
Deadline to apply: February 13, 2019