Self-Employment Counsellor – Creston Area
Delivery of WorkBC Self-Employment (SE) Program including assessing client suitability for SE, delivering workshops, and coaching/mentoring clients through the process of developing and implementing their business plan. Providing CF outreach services (general public workshops, community business counselling) in the service area as needed. This flexible, part-time position is based in Creston, for 1-2 days per week depending on client volumes.
- Deliver Self-Employment Program orientation and assessment workshops to potential clients that have been referred to the program by WorkBC;
- Review client’s self-assessment and determine whether they’re suitable to move forward to the Business Concept application. If approved for Business Concept provide guidance, support and feedback to applicants;
- Review Business Concept application and provide written recommendation to SE Committee;
- Have clients sign contracts prior to entering the Business Plan Development Stage and ensure they understand their contractual obligations;
- Provide individual support (one-on-one coaching) to clients in developing and implementing their business plans;
- Provide written comments/recommendation to SE Committee;
- Conduct mandatory monitors as per WorkBC contract;
- Liaise with WorkBC case managers;
- As time allows, provide CF outreach services (general public workshops, community business counselling);
- Assist in special projects as required.
Reports to: Self-Employment Program Manager
Works with: Community Futures Central Kootenay SE team members
External Relationships: WorkBC contractors, Ministries related to WorkBC
- Minimum of three years proven direct business experience, with a broad knowledge of business management practices, including standard business financial practices, regulations, bookkeeping, understanding of financial statements, business banking, knowledge of marketing and sales strategies, financing methods, business planning, etc.;
- Experience working with a variety of business models;
- Ownership or management experience in small business;
- Client management experience, including one-on-one counselling;
- Knowledge of basic business requirements for operating in the municipalities and regional district served;
- Working knowledge of basic business software – spreadsheets, email, Google docs.
- Understanding of market research and marketing principles. Understanding or proficiency with web and social media platforms for business use (Facebook, Instagram, Shopify, WordPress).
- Post-secondary education in business management, administration or counselling is an asset.
- Must have clean criminal record check for working with marginalized populations; valid driver’s license; appropriate insurance for vehicle; ability to work flexible hours and occasional travel.
This position closes Thursday, August 15th, 2019.
Please, submit a cover letter & resume (electronic) to Paul Kelly, firstname.lastname@example.org, and include ‘SE Counsellor Application’ in the subject line.