Please note, the Business Community Weekly Roundtable on COVID-19 have wrapped-up.
The purpose of these roundtables is to:
- discuss resources and announcements by federal, provincial, and local governments;
- connect our business community with experts to answer questions arising during the COVID-19 pandemic; and,
- to check in with business owners to learn about how you’ve been impacted and the type of support you need.
- Follow us on Facebook Community Futures Central Kootenay
- Join the COVID-19 Support for Kootenay Businesses Facebook group.
Roundtable Videos and Minutes
Week 7: Four business owners share their experience of adjusting and pivoting during COVID-19
Week 8: Barb Williams, Basin Business Advisor, presented on Re-opening during COVID-19
Week 9: Reopening with WorkSafeBC’s Chris Back
Week 13: Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance with a CMHC representative
- Elizabeth Tang from CMHC joined us to share information and answer questions on the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) program.
- Business Continuity Planning, Cash Flow and the Regional Relief & Recovery Fund. The best way to tackle uncertainty about the future is to understand your finances and plan for disruptions before it happens.
- Our CFCK Business Loans Manager, Don McCulloch and Business Loans Analyst, Val Radcliff provided an update on the Regional Relief & Recovery Fund (RRRF).
- Discussion: what can economic predictions tell us about the future of business in the Kootenays.
- Reference to Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) [webinar] and Planning for Recovery: How to restart your business in the wake of COVID-19 [PowerPoint]
- Presentation from Lisa Houle, Manager for Occupational Health & Safety Consultation & Education Services, Municipalities, Arts, Tourism & Hospitality at WorkSafeBC
- Lisa Houle’s PowerPoint presentation: Workplace health & safety & COVID-19
- Presentation from Chris Back, Director of Occupational Health & Safety Consultation & Education Services at WorkSafeBC.
- Q&A with Chris about how to reopen safely in Phase 2.
- Chris Back’s PowerPoint presentation: Workplace Health & Safety & COVID-19
- Kerry Lockhart, Canadian Federation of Independent Business:
- Reopening during COVID-19 by Barb Williams, Basin Business Advisor: Guide to Reopening Your Business During COVID-19
- Update from Richard Toperczer, Regional Economic Branch, Government of British Columbia
- Discussion of an Online Kootenay Marketplace
- Pivoting During COVID-19 Panel Discussion, facilitated by Michael Hoher, business panel: Ryan Popoff (Popov Leather), Krystle Seed (Kalesnikoff Lumber), Laura Price (Scout Clothing & Accessories), and Cody Abbey (Maverick Fitness).
- Canada Emergency Commercial Rental Assistance Program.
- Kootenay Initiatives: loadboard and online Kootenay marketplace.
- MP Richard Cannings, West Kootenay-Okanagan.
- Discussion on the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy and other wage subsidies available locally.
Week 5: April 15, 2020 Minutes – Mental Health & Wellness for Business Owners, Operating Safely During COVID-19
- Mental Health & Wellness for Business Owners with Todd Kettner, Registered Psychologist and Instructor of Psychology at Selkirk College
- Operating Safely during COVID-19 with Trevor Reid, Occupational Hygiene Officer at WorkSafeBC and Juliana Gola, Environmental Public Health at Interior Health.
- Dianna Ducs, Nelson Kootenay Lake Tourism, “Open for Business Campaign”
- Clay Williams & Wendy Cheung of FH&P Lawyers
- Sam Cowan, RHC Insurance
- Financing options:
- Jody Montpellier, Business Account Manager, RBC Royal Bank
- Don McCulloch, Business Loans Manager at Community Futures Central Kootenay
- Help from the Experts:
- Tyler Rice, CPA and Ryan Hoult, CPA from Rice&Co;
- Jody Montpellier, Business Account Manager at RBC Royal Bank.
- Topics & Speakers:
- Overview of ROES and newly announced programs;
- Overview of the Basin Business Advisors program and
- Community Futures Central Kootenay business loans and training opportunities;
- Update from KAST, Kootenay Co-operative Grocery Store; Finley’s Bar & Grill.
- Q&A from the business community on topics such as pick-up/ delivery; funding, grants & financing; what’s an “essential” service.
- Topics & Speakers: initial check-in with the business community; sharing of resources and available information.