Frequently Asked Questions
NOTE: each step relies on approval/ participation.
Step 1: Find out if you are eligible.
Step 2: Attend the Orientation
Step 3: Submit a Business Concept Application
Step 4: Self Employment Committee Review of Business Concept
Step 5: Contract Signing
Step 6: Begin Self Employment Program Business Plan Development Phase (you’re in!)
We also offer free 45 minute business counselling sessions with one of our business experts. Email email@example.com to set-up an appointment.
Eligibility for this program can be difficult to assess. Your best bet is to meet with an Employment Counsellor at your local WorkBC office to find out if you are eligible.
Note: there are modified versions of the Self Employment Program for PWD, PPMB and person who self-identify as having a disability that do not require an EI claim.
If you identify as a person with a disability, you may be eligible to take the Self Employment Program. As a person with a disability or persistent multiple barriers, you will need to commit to working on your business a minimum of 20 hours per week.
There is also added supports available depending on your needs. This may look like:
- Support with writing your business plan,
- Extra time to write your business plan
- Technology support
Businesses that are supported by the program.
- Sole Proprietorship, Corporation, and Partnership structures can be supported.
- Retail, Manufacturing, Service-based mobile, storefront and/or home based business operations.
- The applicant must hold controlling interest in the business being established.
- Franchises may be supported: applicants will be assessed based on the level of support, training, and control given by the franchise company.
Businesses that are not suitable for the program.
- A business where revenue is primarily from commissions on sales.
- A business that is judged to generate income through multi-level marketing.
- A business that is a subsidiary, or financially supported by another company.
- People who act as agents or manufacturing representatives, or those that exploit sex, religion, or politics.
- Businesses that are seasonal will not be supported unless the business can be developed into full time, year-round operations.