Slocan Valley Small Business Support Advisor
Community Futures of Central Kootenay, in association with The Slocan Valley Economic Development Partnership, is seeking a part-time Small Business Support Advisor, aka Rural Business and Community Recovery (RBCR) advisor for the Slocan Valley. The RBCR advisor will work alongside the existing Slocan Valley Economic Development (SVED) Coordinator.
- Implement the approved Slocan Valley business retention and expansion workplan.
- In keeping with COVID-19 PHO safety policies, engage directly with local business owners to understand their needs (especially regarding COVID response and recovery) and help connect them with the supports and resources available from government programs and community stakeholders.
- Identify gaps in available supports and develop recommendations to address those gaps.
- Coach business owners to improve their online presence, using websites, social media and e-commerce platforms. Refer to appropriate supports, such as Community Futures and Kootenay Association of Science and Technology programs.
- Facilitate business networking through inclusion and participation in organisations such as Arrow Slocan Tourism Association and the Slocan Valley Chamber of Commerce, and where applicable, by facilitating the formation of local business committees.
- Develop marketing program ideas and cross-promotions between businesses/sectors.
- Discover and share findings about the local home-based business and remote worker community and how best to engage and support them.
- Assist the SVED Coordinator with related economic development initiatives.
Training and Experience:
- a minimum of three years business experience owning/running a small business or social enterprise or in a business counselling/training role.
- A deep knowledge of life in the Slocan Valley, in particular the North Valley.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Personable, adaptable and collaborative.
- Good listening, communicating, presenting and report-writing skills.
- Able to create simple content for social media and community website slocanvalley.com
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with business owners and stakeholders.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of small business operations in the context of Slocan Valley culture.
- Have an organized work regimen with attention to detail and administration, plus good overall task/project/time management skills.
- Comfortable or trainable with tech tools (cellphones, software programs, Google My Business, Facebook, Instagram, Zoom, Mailchimp, Survey Monkey).
- Competency in using MS Office, including good Excel skills.
- Ability to work well independently or as part of a team, be accountable, have initiative and think creatively.
- Ability to work flexible hours, which may include evenings and weekends on occasion.
- Be a resident of the Slocan Valley.
This is a part-time contract position for a one-year term, working from home and in the community. You will need your own computer and car for in-person meetings (when it’s COVID safe).
Number of work hours per week and remuneration will depend on the candidate’s level of ability and experience.
To indicate interest in this position, please submit your CV and cover letter to email@example.com by May 14, 2021.