Self-Employment Program Application Process
The first step is to contact your local Employment Program of B.C. service provider to determine your eligibility for the Self-Employment Program.
If you receive a referral to the the Self Employment Program you will;
- Attend the 2 Day Self-Employment Program Orientation held in the community closest to you: Nelson, Creston, Castlegar or Nakusp.
- On day one of the 2 Day Orientation you will learn about how the program works and you will complete an entrepreneurial self-assessment
- On day two of the 2 day orientation you will be given your Business Concept application package. You will receive instruction on how to conduct market research, be given research tools, and be instructed on how to complete the work required to complete your Concept application. You are given approximately two weeks to complete and hand in your Concept application.
- Your completed application is then reviewed by a local volunteer Self Employment Committee who will determine if you will be accepted into the 10 week Business Plan Development portion of the Self Employment Program.
- If your Business Concept Application is approved, you will sign formal contracts and the 10 week Business Plan Development Program starts approximately two weeks later. If eligible to receive living supports, you will be paid during the 10 week Business Plan Development Program while you research & write your business plan
“The support and inspiration I received from the teacher was amazing! The classes were incredibly informative and FUN! I have always paid for my education…having education on how to start your own business provided by a government grant is a dream-come-true! This program truly opens doors for the people of the Kootenay’s, allowing them to work in the field of their passion. This is turn, creates a positive and happy energy in the community. This is why I love living here!” Jen Keirstead, Holistic Nutritionist
Orientation sessions occur over two days and are comprised of one -four hour day (9 am-1 pm) and one seven hour day (9am-4 pm with an hour lunch break). Self Employment Program intakes run at five weeks intervals throughout the year. To find out when the next intake in your area is, call us now at 250-352-1933 ext 100.