1. Contact your WorkBC Service Centre to determine your eligibility for the Self-Employment Program.
If you receive a referral to the the Self Employment Program you will be referred to the Self-Employment Program Orientation.
- Nelson WorkBC office (Kootenay Career Development Society)
- Castlegar WorkBC office (Kootenay Career Development Society)
- Nakusp WorkBC office (Arrow and Slocan Lakes Community Services)
- Creston WorkBC office (Kootenay Employment Services)
2. Attend the Self-Employment Program Orientation held in the community closest to you (Nelson, Creston or Nakusp).
The orientation session is held on one seven-hour day (9:00 am-4:00 pm, with a one hour lunch break). During the orientation, you will:
- learn how the Self-Employment program works;
- complete an entrepreneurial self-assessment;
- receive and learn how to complete the Business Concept Application;
- learn how to conduct market research; and,
- receive research tools to help you with your Business Plan.
3. Submit your Business Concept Application
From the Self-Employment Program orientation, you will have approximately two weeks to complete your Business Concept Application.
4. Self-Employment Committee reviews your Business Concept Application
The Self-Employment Committee—made up of local volunteers—will review your application and determine if you will continue into the ten week Business Plan Development phase of the Self-Employment Program.
5. Contract signing
If your Business Concept Application is approved, you will sign formal contracts and the ten week Business Plan Development phase starts approximately two weeks later. If eligible to receive living supports, you will be paid during the ten week Business Plan Development phase while you research and write your business plan
NOTE: The Self-Employment Program intakes run at ten week intervals throughout the year. To find out when the next intake is in your area, call us at 250-352-1933 ext 100.
“The support and inspiration I received from the teacher was amazing! The classes were incredibly informative and FUN! I have always paid for my education, so having education on how to start your own business provided by a government grant is a dream come true! This program truly opens doors for the people of the Kootenay’s, allowing them to work in the field of their passion. This is turn, creates a positive and happy energy in the community. This is why I love living here!” Jen Keirstead, Holistic Nutritionist