1. Make an appointment with your local WorkBC Service Centre to determine eligibility
A WorkBC employment counsellor will determine if you meet all of the eligibility requirements for the Self Employment Program.
Note, you must be unemployed or underemployed to access WorkBC services/ be eligible for the Self Employment Program.
- Nelson WorkBC office (Kootenay Career Development Society)
- Castlegar WorkBC office (Kootenay Career Development Society)
- Nakusp WorkBC office (Arrow and Slocan Lakes Community Services)
- Creston WorkBC office (Kootenay Employment Services)
2. Referred to Community Futures for the Self-Employment Program Orientation
Orientation sessions are held every 10 weeks. You will attend orientation online or in the community closest to you (Nelson, Creston or Nakusp.
Orientation is one day (9:00 am-4:00 pm, with a one hour lunch break).
During the orientation, you will:
- learn how the Self-Employment program works;
- complete an entrepreneurial self-assessment;
- receive and learn how to complete the Business Concept Application;
- learn how to conduct market research; and,
- receive research tools to help you with your Business Plan.
3. Submit your Business Concept Application
After the Self-Employment Program orientation, you will have approximately two weeks to complete your Business Concept Application.
4. Self-Employment Committee reviews your Business Concept Application
The Self-Employment Committee—made up of local, volunteer entrepreneurs—will review your application and determine if you will continue into the ten week Launch phase of the Self-Employment Program.
5. Contract signing
If your Business Concept Application is approved, you will sign formal contracts and the ten week Business Plan Development Phase starts approximately two weeks later.
If eligible to receive living supports, you will be paid during the ten week Business Plan Development Phase while you research and write your business plan. You may also be eligible for travel and childcare reimbursement.
NOTE: The Self-Employment Program intakes run at ten week intervals throughout the year. To find out when the next intake is in your area, call us at 250-352-1933 ext 100.